7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby Celedam » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:24 am

esm wrote:I like it when the setting of a story is like a separate character that you can experience through the perspectives of different characters (especially very different ones).

You've been spoiled by Game of Thrones. :P
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby esm » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:00 am

That's exactly it, especially with reading the books. :lol:

I haven't had much motivation to read A Dance With Dragons. I'm about a third through it, and I tend to read at least 50-100 pages if I just tell myself I'm going to set aside some time to read, but my mind has been all over the place lately. There are soooo many new characters in books 4 and 5. I think the problem with having watched so much of the show before starting to read is that I get spoiled by being able to picture most characters from the earlier part of the story, so when new characters are introduced they feel less vivid in my head.
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby Mirai » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:26 pm

esm wrote:Speaking of which, I started watching Downton Abbey. Just finished the first season. I found the ending to be really powerful because the show just transports you into that society and time period.
And very fitting to have just watched, as that ending scene there technically just had it's 100th anniversary!
Mirai
Minion

Favorite Idol: Ai Takahashi

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:51 pm

esm: I hope you enjoy the rest of "Downton". I love it. :heart: Haven't had a chance to watch S4 just yet, but the excitement for it hasn't died down at all.

Edit: Stuff like this makes me wish that "Steven Universe" had more of a structure/story. I feel like I would enjoy it more.
Spoiler: show
Last edited by Nayoko-Kihara on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby esm » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:15 am

I'm looking forward to watching the rest of it. Already have them on my computer. :fear:

As far as pop culture stuff in the Midwest goes, it looks like there will be a lot of big names at the Chicago Comic Con later this week. I'm not geeky enough to appreciate it, but it seems like a significant event for this area.
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby Mirai » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:46 am

As a Downton fanatic, I look forward to hearing what you guys think! I'm currently rewatching everything thus far, in preparation for season 5 starting in the UK in September.
Mirai
Minion

Favorite Idol: Ai Takahashi

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:26 pm

It seems like New York is popping up a lot lately in the various news that I read.

Orchestra to pay tribute to "Sailor Moon" with a five-movement symphony concert on October 10, 2014 in New York.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby resop2 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:38 am

I have been watching series from 2008: Neo Angelique ~Abyss~.

Like all series/games from the Angelique franchise, Angelique is a girl who has to endure several trails to become "The Queen" a near omnipotent being whose prayers can bring peace and happiness to whatever world she has dominion over. To guide her in these trails is a team of around a dozen bishounen who keep the same names, character designs, and voice actors from series to series. In the games, falling in love with one of the bishounen will lead to an ending where Angelique does not become Queen, so she must be a friend of all of them and help them resolve each one's tragic back story to get to the best ending.

Abyss is somewhat of a change from previous series because it is pretty dark. Angelique must save her world, Arcadia, from the invasion of monsters called Thantos. There are three organizations who fight the Thantos: The Aurb Hunters, The Silver Knights (backed by the Religious Order), and The Foundation (a scientific company who deal with science derived from ancient artifacts). It is discovered that Angelique has the power to heal people who have been attacked by Thantos and also has the power to purify a Thantos after it has been weakened (not unlike Sailor Moon). Now she must sort out who to help out in the war vs the Thantos, decisions made more complicated due to the fact that the three factions often work at cross purposes.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby Celedam » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:49 am

It's been so long since the first season that I'd almost forgotten it, but Defiance is a nifty little show.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:21 pm

Celedam wrote:"Am I a good man?"

In case you forgot, it premiered last Saturday.

I'd read a lot of negative reviews about the first episode. Well, except for sometimes not being able to follow the dialogue — go figure, it's the fast-talking Doctor with an even thicker accent — I loved it. They're getting further and further away from the campy adventure stories for children and into some pretty dark psychodrama. It's still not quite a series for grown-ups only — there are still monsters and ray guns, after all — but this new Doctor is not… safe.

I don't simply mean he's not cute and cuddly like most of his predecessors. I don't even mean he's a jerk like the Sixth Doctor (an interesting and very deliberate character choice that makes more sense in the radio plays). No, I mean you really don't know what he's capable of or where his companion(s) and, by proxy, you stand with him.

We also have a new nemesis (?), and her name is Missy…

Spoiler: show
Most likely the Master regenerated as a woman. Master -> Mistress -> Missy. And when we meet her, there is definitely an old-school, Anthony Ainley vibe with the black clothes and heavy eyeliner.
Last edited by Celedam on Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project