6th Station ~Other Bands for H!P Fans~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 6th Station ~Other Bands for H!P Fans~

Postby wotakubrandon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:29 am

erilaz wrote:It blows my mind that Hikki has never been on Kouhaku before.
Right? Kinki too.

I've been having an Exposé dance party for like three days. :music:
wotakubrandon

Postby Zunu » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:20 am

esm wrote:Tove Lo's career as a singer only began when she's 26-27, and she was mainly a songwriter before, but that's probably an exception, especially since coming from Stockholm there's a ton of connections there (and she's great as a pop songwriter).

If you look at some other pop artists with songs on the radio in the past year or so, there are also younger people like Shawn Mendes (18), Zara Larsson (turning 19 in a few days), Alessia Cara (20), Chance the Rapper (23), etc.

Random, but I've been listening to a lot of hippie music and girl groups from the 60s a lot lately. I'd just leave a Spotify playlist on all day (even when I'm sleeping, though I'd turn the volume down a bit).

Shawn Mendes is only 18? I thought he was like 23-24 tbh, I guess he sounds more mature? And I suppose Sia's career didn't really take off until she was around 30. 25-26 if you want to count Zero 7. But she's an exception for sure.

Anyway, about oldie music, lately I've been playing the hell out of Eartha Kitt, who is only famous these days for Santa Baby, I think. But in her day she was an amazing talent who got blacklisted in the late 60's for speaking out too forcefully and unapologetically against the Vietnam War. Apparently she hurt Lady Bird Johnson's feelings back when putting the First Lady in her place was considered a faux pas.

On Spotify, see for example: spotify:album:6gOVmmV26wBBgxUtbF8YZd

Also recently I have a thing for like 50's era music with that ersatz "exotic" sound, e.g.

I love how every era in the history of recorded music produced its own characteristic gems, the vast majority of which is destined for complete obscurity. I mean even with Jpop every so often I'll hear a completely rando song from a never-quite-popular group like Dorothy Little Happy, and think, wow this is really good, too bad nobody will ever hear it. Multiply that by 100 with the nearly infinite amount of music out there that never gets any radio play outside of the rare college station. My brother-in-law used to be a drummer in a St. Louis area band that never left the Midwest bus circuit, never released a major album, never appeared on TV, never got airplay but (according to my sister anyway) they were great and had loads of local fans until, like many groups, they eventually had to stop for economic reasons.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby erilaz » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:57 pm

^ Speaking of exotica, have you heard El Baile Alemán, the album of Kraftwerk covers by Uwe Schmidt as Señor Coconut y su Conjunto?

"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby rikkikow » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:46 pm

It's an exotica streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch!
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

Postby Amped » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:09 pm

E-girls NEW ALBUM song "All Day Long Lady" MV
Amped
High Priest

Favorite Idol: 工どう由愛

Postby Kravius Pila » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:32 am

Kravius Pila
Acolyte

Postby Amped » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:11 pm

new Avex girl group debut "Questy" from EXPG (EXILE dance and vocal school that trained E-girls and EXILE members).

http://questy-project.jp/
Amped
High Priest

Favorite Idol: 工どう由愛

Postby otaku_blue » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:41 pm

new Kpop girl group LOONA with a concept of "girl of the month" where they'll reveal a new member every month (12 girls) until their debut next year. the current formula is that the girls release one solo ballad by the new girl and a pop track with all the revealed members at the time. it's been really interesting to follow since all the girls so far have been great and the videos are surprisingly very high quality and shot in different parts of the world (London, Paris, Iceland, Japan). I really hope they can find success so they're not too in debt by the time they debut.

November 80s Pop Track - I'll be There (Japan)

December Solo Ballad Track - Let Me In (Iceland)
otaku_blue
Devotee

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:48 pm

Amped wrote:Questy
I'm not very into the song, but I'm even less into the fact that it seems to be another group where only one or two sing and the rest just dance.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby rikkikow » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:26 pm

It’s Wednesday. I hope your Wednesday is this stress free!

I will be hitting the mall today to finish Christmas shopping. The best part will be meeting up with old friends @ Tomi Sushi & Seafood Buffet. It’s the best.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project