6th Station ~Other Bands for H!P Fans~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 6th Station ~Other Bands for H!P Fans~

Postby esm » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:52 am

stam4o wrote:By the way, Tove Lo is kinda weird. And there's something attractive in her, even though that it's not her music (cuz it's pretty meh to me) and that her videos are odd. Hmmmm.

I like some of her songs, and I think she's kind of interesting because there's this level of boldness to her and her music that feels like it's just part of her character and it's not that she's trying too hard or just trying to get attention. Some of her lyrics are so sexual in a really straightforward way that I can't listen to the songs (example). Also something like a song called "Like Em Young". :|

I like "Habits (Stay High)" and "Not on Drugs" though. :lol:

edit: A pop singer/songwriter I like a lot is Charli XCX. Her songs are so catchy.
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby Celedam » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:39 am

Daisuki Daiiyo wrote:No video to accompany this, but I'm watching the Babymetal Budokan concert, and I am really impressed with SuMetal. All of the running around and jumping she does, while managing to sing everything on key without sounding (too) winded is amazing.

SU-METAL is the real deal. It's fun to see all the comments insisting that she's lipsyncing or at least autotuned, because people can't believe some little pop idol sings that well.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Panic Nancy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:47 am

I thought there was some pitch correction on the DVD. I wish they wouldn't do it because it makes her sound slightly robotic.
Panic Nancy
Minion

Postby Celedam » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:02 am

I think that's just how she sounded, at least at that time, because she had not yet outgrown her idol training and image. But her voice matured a LOT during the world tour; performing in front of hardcore metalheads forced her to commit.
Last edited by Celedam on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby stam4o » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:22 am

esm wrote:I like some of her songs, and I think she's kind of interesting because there's this level of boldness to her and her music that feels like it's just part of her character and it's not that she's trying too hard or just trying to get attention.

Oh, yes, I definitely agree. If we take in count only her music, I get the same feeling, but some time ago I read this interview which I think confirmed it to me quite well (it's an interesting reading).
I assume what draws me forward is her personality then (yeah, she's so very bold :lol:). I do like to watch her videos to see what she pulls out next though.

Also, I don't usually listen to spanish music but this is nice:

My current jam is Momoclo X KISS :music:
stam4o
Minion

Favorite Idol: Akari,Sayumi,Maachan,Riho

Postby Panic Nancy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:52 pm

Celedam wrote:I think that's just how she sounded, at least at that time, because she had not yet outgrown her idol training and image. But her voice matured a LOT during the world tour; performing in front of hardcore metalheads forced her to commit.

I don't know. It sounds like auto-tune (or some other pitch correction software) to me. I'm not very knowledgeable about the technology (because I'm an ignorant boob), but I know that a lot of people (even people who can sing very well) use it nowadays. I don't know how common it is to use it on the live performances, but a couple of the comments on YouTube seemed to suggest that it's done a lot in Japan. I have no idea if that's true or not, but I know H!P does use it on their DVDs. I can definitely hear it, especially on the weaker singers' lines.

Anyway, it's annoying, but it doesn't mean she can't sing or anything like that. We've seen the news footage and heard the fan recordings/videos. We know that she sings live and sounds great before any tweaking. She doesn't hit every note perfectly every single time, but even the very best singers go a little off pitch from time to time.
Panic Nancy
Minion

Postby JonCC » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:17 am

If you got it from...
Panic Nancy wrote: a couple of the comments on YouTube

...then the following statement...
Panic Nancy wrote:I have no idea if that's true or not,

...is unnecessary.
JonCC
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Sayashi Riho

Postby TotallyUncool » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:19 pm

This is what I get for hooking up my turntable and digging into old vinyl -- random ancient and obscure songs start coming back and sneaking up on me...

:blink:
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby rikkikow » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:13 pm

^ Al Kooper, my man.
pre-Blood Sweat & Tears
I know you know this group Totally.
http://youtu.be/--S8ZjI8_hM
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

Postby TotallyUncool » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:26 pm

Edit: Duhhhhh! I didn't see your link at first, and wound up posting the same song! :mikihead: :mikihead: :mikihead:

I always liked Kooper, all the way back to the Blues Project - this is such a great song:

(complete with eyeball-twisting psychedelic video effects XD )

And by complete and (seemingly) random free-association, the phrase "happy hours" in the Blues Project song reminded me of Tarcy's "Happy Hours" --

And now that I think about it, there are some elements in the arrangement of Happy Hours" that do actually remind me a bit of "No Time Like the Right Time"... :blink:
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project