OG (Graduated Members) / M-line Club / M-line Music

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: OG (Graduated Members) Thread

Postby teth » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:17 am

^ of course she can.
But Sanma is someone who knows showbiz very well and probably is making a statement on what is best for her career, with her best interests st heart.

To be honest not many if not no one have made it big after appearing in a Sentai series, especially for female actors.

However she certainly can pursue her dreams however she wants,
and this is a step for her indeed.
teth
Acolyte

Postby downfrontguy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:45 am

Well, Mano did Kamen Rider and it didn't hurt her career exactly. Then again it was for a movie, so one and done deal and the damage was minimum. JK.

Suppose these ridiculously amateurish looking shows still have some fan bases in Japan (in 2018), otherwise why keep making them now? They are just as much as cringe inducing as its heydays, some 20-30 years ago, but at least back then there was an excuse of...being 20-30 years ago. :)

Imo, neither Kudou nor any Sentai show is popular enough to derail anybody's acting career these days - meaning there won't be any Harry Potter/Twilight level curse and nobody outside the super limited fandom knows who Kodou is. How old is she now, 17 or something. Don't think she has yet proven that there is some super acting talent to "waste" to begin with, really. She is basically a rookie in acting world, so can't see what's wrong with starting with any gig - she is still super young. It should be fine, just to prove that she is capable of working in this field.

Besides it took Mano 3-4 years of gigs to really get to where she is now - the most successful ex-H!P girl since Elder Club -, yet she is still stuck on that secondary character role mode. :fear: Kodou, if anything, has even more time than when Mano started. If there is a sense of urgency, it's maybe also an actress-wannabe but much older Yajima? Yes, she is still young, but definitely not young for the acting world at 25 (almost 26). Yajima's post H!P career appears to be following the typical ex-H!P acting career though instead of Mano's. That is just doing obscure plays (theater works) instead of TV dramas/films.
downfrontguy
Senior Initiate

Postby wotakubrandon » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 am

I haven't watched a sentai show since Magiranger but I will definitely watch this cause I'm tokusatsu trash.
wotakubrandon

Postby AyuHikaru » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:15 am

To be fair, I would hope no one would expect her to become some super successful actress as soon as she graduated. This is a solid jumping off point and shows she doesn't mean "tiny musical theater plays" when she said "actress" like so many graduates before her.
AyuHikaru
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Harunan, Murotan

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:40 pm

Not toward any one specific person, but the tendency in this fandom to minimize theater as a chosen career path is saddening. :lol:
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby downfrontguy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:45 pm

Well got no issue with theaters, but let's not kid ourselves here: almost all of the girls get starred in are super duper obscure off x 3 broadway stuff. It's more or less a career for the love of acting and not much else (no fame, no ¥), especially in Japan where my understanding is that it's not as big as in some western countries.

Besides Tamura, I don't think they had been a serious theater actress potential as well - and am saying that knowing how a couple of OGs, namely Niigaki and Abe, either have or had been quite dedicated in working in the field unlike some half-ass dabbling by some others.
downfrontguy
Senior Initiate

Postby AyuHikaru » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:48 pm

It's not musical theatre as a whole, but most of the girls are basically doing the equivalent of off-off-off Broadway productions. Nothing big league. Meimi is attempting to do just that so I'll give her a pass, but lets not pretend what most of the musical theater grads are career making "Broadway" shows.

Edt: hahahaha we both used the off-off-off broadway example.
AyuHikaru
Devotee

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:09 pm

I never mentioned type of theater or scale of production. :lol: Just because they're working small scale productions or don't have consistent work doesn't mean it wasn't a legitimate choice, and it often seems like people think it "doesn't count", so to speak. I wasn't commenting on levels of success or skill (though I would think having at least semi-regular work in an industry that doesn't guarantee it equals success, even if it isn't on a massive scale, so kudos to the OG that aren't stuck in audition hell).

(Honestly though, I've been coming across a lot of "Up-Front is the worst company in the world and no OG do any work ever" stuff over the past few days and this ^ is probably, in part, leftover annoyance.)
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:20 am

So where does Takahashi place in this discussion? She actually had a Broadway-equivalent career for a few years, including three national tours with "Anne of Green Gables" (2012–2014), before she left it to get married and become a fashionista.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby AyuHikaru » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:21 pm

I treat this just like I would Movie/Television actors TBH, if a girl graduates and only does commercials or has one line in a drama I'm not going to say their "Successful" just that their work is steady. Mano is the most successful actress of H!P and people actually argue whether or not she actually -is- succesful. This is the same.

I'd say Takahashi is somewhat successful in musical theatre. Or was? I haven't heard of her doing anything lately. She did a good run with Anne of Green Gables, I kinda expected her to get more prominent work but it's very likely she just didn't want to.

I also don't believe OG do no work ever, but I'm not going to pretend all of them are monumental successes. Tsuji had a great run there for awhile, Mano is doing well, Haruka is off to a good start. Sayumi has potential. Mari was doing great on the variety circuit, till... well you know.
AyuHikaru
Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project